Click to download application prototype, a hyperlinked PDF.

Click to download application prototype, a hyperlinked PDF.




Indiana State Library Webinar: Defending Internet Privacy at Work and Home

Internet privacy leaped back into the news with the March 28, 2017 repeal of the FCC regulation "Protecting the Privacy of Customers of Broadband and Other Telecommunications Services." With user browsing data potentially on offer to advertisers, find out what will and won't help protect your and your users' privacy in this new regulatory environment.

Academic Libraries of Indiana Scholarly Communication Committee

Spring 2016 report to ALI directors on digital humanities outreach and prospects for the committee and an update on recent news in scholarly communication

 

subTEXT

Project built for the 2016 CODEX MIT Media Lab Literary Hackathon. 

"subTEXT allows a user to create intelligently generated, customizable companion texts — collections of annotations and extratextual information that will add depth and context to the reading experience, in an unobtrusive way."

 

We Went to Selma: Collecting and Archiving Data for the Digital Humanities

Impromptu Lighting Talk, describing a project to document the social media output and artwork generated by a faculty/student trip to Selma in commemoration of the anniversary of the Civil Rights-era march across the bridge.

 

Academic Libraries of Indiana Information Literacy Committee Webinar: Scholarly Communications & Information Literacy Instruction

With Stephanie Davis-Kahl and Craig Finlay

 

Capstone: METS, MODS, and Metadata Guidelines for Still Images

UT Still Image Guidelines available at Scribd

 

Raiders of the Lost Archive

This project was undertaken for the Survey of Digitization course offered in Spring 2012. Using an "archive raider," a DIY copystand described in a 2010 ProfHacker blog post, I captured high-resolution images of telephone transcripts at the Lyndon Baines Johnson Library and Museum. I tested Dragon Naturally Speaking and ABBBYY FineReader to determine which would offer the most efficient means of turning these images into plain text that could accompany the audio files previously made available by the Miller Center.

Project Report available at Scribd

 

Spanish Colonial Architecture Islandora Repository

This project was completed as part of the Digital Repositories class offered in Spring 2012. As part of a group of four students and with backend support from the university libraries, we migrated a digital collection from a custom-built solution at the Alexander Architectural Archive to an Islandora repository. 

 

Aggregating Information Science Blogs

This project was undertaken as part of the Database Management class offered in Summer 2012. As part of a group of five students, we developed a website to recommend and aggregate information science blogs using PHP and SQL. 

Project report available at Scribd

 

Transcribe Bentham

I gave this presentation in the Fall 2012 Digital Humanities course as part of an assignment to evaluate digital humanities projects based on the Modern Language Association's guidelines.

 

Taggr: Tag Curation App for Tumblr

This project was completed as part of the Digital Curation class offered in Fall 2012. As part of a group of four students, we developed a business plan and prototype application for tablets that would help users take advantage of Tumblr's unique tagging system.

 

The Blueprints and Drawings Collection

Finding Aid and EAD available at the Texas State Library and Archives Commission's Texas Archival Resources Online Site

 

Cordially Yours: A Joseph Conrad Omeka Exhibit

Francesca Giannetti, Paul Vinelli and I worked with the Joseph Conrad Papers at the Harry Ransom Center to create an Omeka exhibit featuring a number of letters between Conrad and his translators and publishers. This exhibit was intended to place these letters in their historical context and demonstrate relationships between them. We implemented a number of Omeka plugins, including CSV Import, Geolocation, HTML5 Media, and Simple Pages. We also used Voyant visualizations and TEI markup to encode our letters and explore linguistic connections.